*Courtesy of SB Indivisible!
THE HOUSE: We flipped the House picking up 30 seats though the final count maybe closer to 40. We flipped 4 US Senate races; 6 state legislatures; 8 governor’s races and over 100 state legislative seats. 317 out of 435 Congressional districts (73%) were more blue on Tuesday than they were in 2016.
In California the effort to flip the 14 Republican seats resulted in four seats - thus far - changing hands: CA-10, CA-25, CA-48, and CA-49. More information on CA races can be found here. Here are returns for ten of the targeted/flippable CA House seats as of Friday. Returns are still coming in.
- CA-04 (Foothills): *Tom McClintock (R) 145,361 (55.2%), Jessica Morse (D) 118,052 (44.8%)
- CA-10 (Stanislaus): *Josh Harder (D) 88,961 (50.9%), Jeff Denham 85,743 (49.1%)
- CA-21 (Kings): *David Valadao (R) 39,475 (53.1%), TJ Cox (D) 33,844 (46.2%)
- CA-22 (Tulare): *Devin Nunes (R) 81,543 (55.2%), Andrew Janz (D) 66,277 (44.8%)
- CA-25 (Santa Clarita-Palmdale): *Katie Hill (D) 90,298 (51.7%), Steve Knight (R) 84,272 (48.3%)
- CA-39 (Fullerton): Young Kim (R) 83,211 (50.8%), Gil Cisneros (D) 80,539 (49.2%)
- CA-45 (Irvine): *Mimi Walters (R) 103,975 (50.5%), Katie Porter (D) 101,955 (49.5%)
- CA-48 (Hunt. Beach): *Harley Rouda (D) 105,047 (51.8%), Dana Rohrabacher (R) 97,719 (48.2%)
- CA-49 (S. OC/N. SD Coast): *Mike Levin (D) 106,052 (54.2%), Diane Harkey (R) 89,458 (45.8%)
- CA-50 (E. SD County): Duncan Hunter (R) 89,002 (53.7%), Ammar Campa-Najjar (D) 76,662 (46.3%)
Voter turnout for Tuesday’s election was the highest turnout for a midterm election in 50 years.
15 House Republicans given an “A” rating by the NRA lost on Tuesday. All 15 were replaced by Democrats with an “F” NRA rating.
Washington state has overwhelmingly approved a measure to raise the age to purchase a semi-automatic weapon to 21 and require purchasers to undergo an enhanced background check, training and a mandatory waiting period.
Three very red states have voted to expand Medicaid after years of GOP resistance, providing hundreds of thousands more people access to healthcare.
Recounts are underway in Florida where Democrat Andrew Gillum is running for Governor and in Georgia where Democrat Stacy Abrams is running for Governor. Both are historic elections and both may turn blue. The Florida recount extends to the Senate race between Bill Nelson and Rick Scott, which is too close to call. In Arizona it looks as if Democrat Krysten Sinema is slightly ahead of Trump supporter Martha McSally in that Senate race.
A Federal Appeals Court has blocked the Trump Administration from ending the DACA (Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals) program.
A Federal judge has blocked construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, ruling that the Trump Administration’s permit for construction of the cross-border pipeline violated the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act and the Administrative Procedure Act.